Examinations are held twice a year, in Spring and Autumn, and can be taken online or at a test centre in London, Manchester & Cardiff*.
As this may not be convenient for everyone, it should be noted that it is also possible for candidates to arrange to sit a hand written, paper based examination at a local college/school (or other suitable venue), contact the ILFM office for further details.
* subject to availability
To register for the next exam - once the next sitting is available use the links below to the relevant event pages, please contact the office if you have any problems making your booking or if you are unsure whether the fee applies.
ALL students, whatever package you are on, need to register for the exam before the closing date. You also need to be a fully paid member in order to sit the exam.
Old LPAR course - the November 2021 exam will be a re-sit only and the last exam for this course (contact Helen to transfer)
8th to 10th November 2021 (bookings close 3rd October)
All our courses will have an online exam option in November, with Zoom invigilation. Test centres (London, Manchester, Cardiff & Local, subject to availability) will be a paper based (handwritten) exam only.
- Diploma D1 Bookkeeping - Weds 10th November, please book here
- Diploma D2 LFCAR - Tues 9th November, please book here
- Associate A1 Accounting for Legal Finance Professionals - Monday 8th November, please book here
- Associate A2 Financial Management - Monday 8th November, please book here
- Associate A3 Legal Practice Management - Monday 8th November, please book here
- Associate A4 Tax for Legal Finance Professionals - Monday 8th November, please book here
Online exams only - further detail can be viewed HERE.
Final dates, locations and timings for the Nov sittings are all to be confirmed. The exams being able to take place are subject to the situation at the time.
Exam preparation sessions can be booked here
One exam fee is already included in the package fee, the exam fee will apply to re-sits and those on the old bronze package.
- ILFM Diploma Paper D1: Bookkeeping for Legal Finance Professionals Exam - £90
- ILFM Diploma Paper OLD D2: Legal Professionals and the Accounts Rules Exam - £90
- ILFM Diploma Paper NEW D2 : Legal Finance Compliance & Accounts Rules Exam - £90
- ILFM Associate Exams: A1, A2, A3 & A4 - £90 per paper
- Candidates must arrange local venues themselves and will need to be a paper based exam, the local venue guidelines are attached at the bottom of this page. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
All candidates (All Inclusive, Gold, Silver and Barry Hilton Scholarship etc) must still register for the exam. All registered candidates will receive confirmation of their registration after the cut off date along with their candidate number.
*Any requests for additional examination facilities or arrangements for reasons of a disability or learning difficulties will be considered. Each application will be considered on an individual basis, your application should include details of the disability, your requirements and supporting medical evidence. Applications should be made in addition to the exam enrolment booking and should be sent no later than the enrolment deadline for the exam sitting you wish to apply for. The ILFM will make every endeavour to accommodate your needs.
Unlike many organisations, admission to the higher grades of membership is by ILFM Qualification only. To this end, the ILFM has its own structured examination scheme. Because of the varied ages and backgrounds of those joining the ILFM, there are no formal requirements for embarking on the following examination route:
The Diploma, Paper One - Bookkeeping for Legal Finance Professionals & Paper Two - Legal Professionals & the Accounts Rules/Legal Finance Compliance & Accounts Rules - These are 3-hour examinations and are intended to test the immediate working knowledge of the office environment.
The Associate, (three mandatory parts) For Diploma Members only - This is designed to test career students on a deeper understanding of the many legal and accounting topics they will meet in working life. Each Associate certificate is a 3-hour examination.
The Fellowship, (by thesis and presentation) - This is the ILFM's highest qualification. Further information can be found by selecting the Fellowship link from links listed on the left of this page.
ILFM Examination passes are graded as:
To ensure standards are always the highest, the ILFM Examination Board includes an external examiner from the College of Law.
The Fellowship is graded as a pass with 50%+, a merit with 65%+ and a distinction is 80%+.